Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The 1950’s Housewife vs. the 2011 Tigress

I shall freely and unabashedly admit to the raging feminists out in our modern world that I have certain 1950’s housewife tendencies. My greatest aspiration in life is to raise my children in the Lord, make my family's life happy and beautiful, be a writer, and to attempt to cook supper every night. I have no problem with the idea that my husband is in charge of the household, I have no problem with submitting to him. (As it will be I plan on marrying a respectful man who is not a control mad cad or a power hungry dad.) I also am violently influenced by the glint of pearls and high heels and often times when I find myself dressed up and lovely I will have a horrible craving to start cleaning something.

I do not like how women behave now days. They are tiger women. They are in charge of households, of companies, of associations, and yes, even of men. It seems to be the trend nowadays that if a girl wants a man, she ravenously pursues him and makes all the moves. Personally, I have never felt comfortable with that role. And even though my efficient, waste no time, get-what-I-want mentality often tosses me into tigress temptation, I am really much like a dog. When I chase a boy and finally catch him, I hardly know what to do with him. I believe it was the chase that interested me, not the actual commitment of a boy.


During my homeschool years, I watched my 10th grade history on a set of video tapes. The amazing man, Mr. McBride, was the most fabulous history teacher; you know the kind that actually made history seem like an epic saga instead of a dry compendium of data. One thing he said always stuck out to me.

He told his class that he did not treat his wife as an equal, but rather he treated her higher than an equal and honored her.


Wow! What a man! Where do they make them like that?

I think he touched on the very crux of the entire abused verse ‘wives submit to your husband…” passage in Eph. A woman would have absolutely no problem with submitting to a man who honored her! If only more men would...


For all this woman domination aside, as females, I believe most of us have a vulnerable need inside to be protected, cherished, guided, and sought after. I will be honest, I never have had the privilege to be truly sought after…oh sure, countless boys have tried extremely to win my heart, but there is a difference to me. Deep, true, honest to goodness, hard working, knightly quest of a pursuit, is a concept unexperienced by me. I personally believe God is reserving that challenge for Mr. Right, whenever he decides to show up in my life. For there is something overpowering in the assurance that there is someone stronger than you to lean on and lead you. And in my own opinion, if you have to do all the hunting, it makes the joy of a man rather shallow. I know how emotionally unstable I am! I don’t want to relay on that as my guide! Yet while in this day in age, these powerful tiger women have turned the average man into the “I’ll sit back and let her chase me,” lazy Romeo, a few of us still yearn for the man who will pursue us, honor us, and be the example of the leading man splashed across scriptures.

I will admit I am old-fashioned. I don’t think the Justin Bieber generation may really values ideals that sound like they came straight from “Leave it to Beaver” or “Andy Griffith.” But that is who I am. And I do believe that in the Bible there is a pattern, from Paul’s words all the way back to Adam’s banishment from the garden, that calls man to be the leader, the guide, the head of the house… and most women desire to know that they are taken care of, that they are honored, and that they are protected. So putting aside the darkside of the 1950’s—women’s oppression, misogynist male pigs, really ugly shag carpet… I think we women truly only desire the husband/wife relationship as illustrated in the Bible…. And maybe, for some of the more old-fashioned of us, the high heels, pearls, and vacuum cleaning as well!


“Father, give me the strength to be everything I'm called to be
Oh Father, show me the way To lead them.

To lead them with strong hands, to stand up when they can't
Don't want to leave them hungry for love, chasing things that I could give up
I'll show them I'm willing to fight, and give them the best of my life
So we can call this our home, lead me 'cause I can't do this alone

Father, lead me 'cause I can't do this alone.” ~Sanctus Real

1 comment:

  1. While our dysfunctional patterns emerge most clearly in primary 7 day
    body detox with a daily-experience sampling of both
    members of cohabiting couples. Claire struggles
    to articulate this side of her life.

    Feel free to surf to my web page - a detox cleanse

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...