Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Princess Worth Waiting For


So I have watched Tangled again, for the third time. Each occasion prior I’ve managed to hide the fact that parts of the movie made me rather weepy. However, this last time I just let the tears follow. Call me a silly girl, I don’t care. But there is something poignant about this movie that always brings mist to my eyes. Maybe it was the father king, heavy shoulders burdened with the pain of losing his treasured daughter. Maybe it was the magical moment when Rapunzel realized she was in love with Eugene. Maybe it was the end, when Eugene showed us all how much he loved Rapunzel by sacrificing himself for her. Or maybe it is just the beautiful scene where all the twinkling lanterns rise over the kingdom and your heart is filled with longings for love. Whatever it was, this time I felt no shame in weeping like a ridiculous silly girl.

I like the line in the end, where Eugene describes the picturesque finale saying that Rapunzel was a princess worth waiting for. It made me think of all the lonely girls out there in this huge world. How many of us gaze upward toward the starry heavens, searching, imploring, dreaming, praying to find that one special love which will be our new dream? When there seems to be no hope, how easy it is to sit on dark nights wondering like Rapunzel: “when will my life begin?” For some of us, we haven’t quite figured out how to escape our towers. For others we just haven’t met our Flynn Rider. For some of us still, we just aren’t brave enough yet to take the jump into a new world of love. Personally, I think I am a little bit of all three.

One day lying on my bed, staring blanking at the ceiling, it dawn on me quite suddenly—I have absolutely no inkling of an idea  what it would be like to truly love a man and share a life with him. What must it feel like to be so intimate with a person that the cords of your heart are entangled in such a way that you feel as though he were a part of you? It is a dream worth the wait. And if it happens to me, I am beginning to see, like many girls, that I am definitely a hidden princess. We each have within us a special glow, a sort of natural light which is all our own, and it is this radiant glimmering of the heart that makes us absolutely beautiful in the eyes of that one, right, dear love. Perhaps he is lost in the forest, perhaps he is temporarily blinded by a witch, perhaps he is searching and waiting just as hard as you—whatever the case, some days it seems like he will never come. And no matter how many lonely tears you shed, no matter how many stars you wish upon, no matter how many prayers you lift upward upon the breeze, he doesn't feel any closer to you. 
 
But just think of it this way. Maybe he is out there too, sitting under that same white moon dreaming and longing for you just as hard as you are for him. And one day, one beautiful, happy day, he will find you--a princess worth waiting for. And together, you both will begin a new dream!

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog months ago and am delighted to read your eloquent thoughts. I love Tangled and find fairy tales quite full of our own longing and struggle. I'm glad you put your thought to words and have the courage to share them. My heavenly Prince came when I was 7 and my husband came at 24. I'm now raising two boys trying to teach them how to treat a princess. The right man is well worth the wait! Blessings,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...